Multiple doc types
There are as many product workflows as there are product teams
In this section, we'll dig into Cycle's data model, which we represent with "doc types", and allow you to make Cycle work the way you do.
"Docs" are Cycle's most primary unit. They are objects with multiple traits:
- Type – What are the building blocks of your product management process?
- Properties – These are characteristics specific to one or multiple doc types.
- A parent or child – How doc types are related
- 1.When you collect feedback from sources (or create them manually in Cycle), you create a Cycle doc of the doc type "Feedback".
- 2.Once you highlight an extract of that feedback to "turn it into an insight", you're in fact creating a new Cycle doc, of the doc type "Insight"
- 3.You then link that Insight doc to a parent doc type "Initiative. An initiative can have multiple subordinated insights. That's how Cycle shows you customer insights right next to their parent "initiative" so you can write PRDs in customer context.
Follow the interactive demo below to learn how to create your own doc type and link it to a parent. As an example, we'll create a doc type "bugs", link it to a parent "🌱 Initiative" and link customer "insights" to "bugs".
You can always rename doc types, even the built-in ones.
Rename any doc type to your own taxonomy
Additionally, you can also create new Doc types straight from your “Hierarchy” tab.
If you made a mistake when linking a doc type to another, you can remove the link by going to the "Doc types" section of your workspace settings and hover the parent doc you wish to unlink.